Thursday 24 March 2016

This cup



This is the cup that Jesus takes up: the cup of suffering.





‘I will lift up the cup of salvation’, says the psalmist.

‘Father if you are willing, remove this cup from me’, says our Lord.

‘and call upon the name of the LORD’, says the psalmist.

‘Yet, not my will by yours be done’, says Jesus.

Luke tells us that in his anguish ‘he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground.’

The disciples slept – in grief and exhaustion; unaware of the enormity of events.

A crowd gathers; there’s a kiss. This is what betrayal looks like; my own familiar friend. And 

Jesus says: ‘this is your hour, and the power of darkness’.

Perhaps it is the pairing of psalms 42 and 43 that make sense now. ‘Where is your God?’

‘My soul is cast down’.      

‘My tears have been my food day and night’.

‘Deep calls to deep’.

‘Why are you cast down, O my soul, / and shy are you disquieted within me?’

‘My soul thirsts for God, for the living God’.

The throng going in procession to the house of God; the shouts and songs of thanksgiving and the multitude making festival: all this feels a long way off. Yet and yet, ‘Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.’


Vindicate me; defend my cause. In the face of grief and the oppression of enemies: ‘O send out your light and your truth, let them lead me.’ 

© Julie Gittoes 2016