Friday 25 March 2016

Distress is real

And we wait...

At the foot of the cross

Standing there, do we continually cry the petitions of psalm 143?


‘Hear my prayer… the enemy has pursued me, crushing my life to the ground’.




‘Answer me quickly, O LORD; my spirit fails.’

‘Do not hide your face from me, or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit’.

And he cries out: ‘into your hands O Lord, I commend my Spirit’; ‘It is finished’.
 



Friends come.



They stretch out their hands to hold lifeless limbs.


Preserve my life?

Bring me out of trouble?

Destroy my adversaries? 

Are these hopes of the psalmist now crushed forever?

In psalm 22 we hear that ‘to him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go to the dust, and I shall live for him’. 



Friends tend him; they bring spices and linen clothes; they lower him into the cold and darkness of a tomb.
 

‘Now there was a garden in the place where he was crucified, and in the garden there was a new tomb in which no one had ever been laid.’


‘And so, because it was the Jewish day of Preparation, and the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.’



‘Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord…’

Can we continue with the psalmist, reaching the end of psalm 22?
 

We are those future generations: proclaiming ‘his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying that he has done it’.

 
The substance of this ‘it’ is deliverance from sin and death.      



All the cries and voices of supplication are heard: this death destroys death.

Yes, the distress is real; the grief of disciples who’d fled and the women who’d watched and the men who’d buried is real.

As psalm 31 puts it: ‘be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye wastes away 
from grief; my soul and body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away’.

 

© Julie Gittoes 2016