Sunday 27 March 2016

I shall not die, but live!



During our Easter Vigil, we waited beyond the evening  and into morning hours; until the breaking in of dawn. We wait for fires to be kindled; candles to be lit; for bells to ring and for the A-word to be sung. The glory of God rings out because the tomb is empty.



We remember on this night the story of liberation; a story known by the psalmists – recited by them time and time again. Psalm 114 describes power of the LORD leading Israel out of from Egypt and the ‘house of Jacob from a people of strange language’.


‘Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob, who turns the rock into a pool of water, the flint into a spring of water’. The God who delivered a people long ago, still delivers us. 

And on Easter Day, we repeat again the words of Psalm 118: ‘I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. The stone which the builders has become the chief cornerstone’.

We say and sing these words in the assurance that this is the Lord’s doing; that it is marvelous; that this is the day that the Lord has made.
 

But rejoicing is far from the lips of the women when they arrive at the tomb – bringing with them the aroma of spices to the coldness of death. They are afraid. He is not here. He is risen. 




Rejoicing is far from the lips of Peter and John when they hear the news; when they hear the Mary Magdalene tells them the stone has been moved, they run, trying to outdo one another in haste. They look in and see. They go in and look. One sees and believes. 


 


‘I shall not die, but live’ says the psalmist as he writes of glad victory songs.


‘They did not yet understand the scripture’, wrote John, ‘that he must rise from the dead’.

‘He did not give me over to death’, says the psalmist, rejoicing with his people after battle is done; threats have subsided.




‘But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb’.
 
She stands alone in what my supervisor Dan Hardy called ‘cross light’: the mystery, agony, glory and redemptive power of the cross. She stands where the sting of death becomes the life abundant. She cannot see it yet.

She knows what she sees – an empty tomb. Her instinct tells her that she must find out where her Lord has been taken. She does not recognize him; she assumes he’s the gardener.

 She hears here name; she knows her Lord. Her instincts tell her to reach and hold him. ‘O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his steadfast love endures for ever!’


But she can’t cling on; it’s a very human moment. Embracing new life means letting go. It’s lesson perhaps we all need to learn. 

One of the reasons I think this story so affects me is that I recall hugging my father the night before major surgery and he said ‘don’t hold on to me too tightly, Ju’. 

And I thought how absurd because I wasn’t. Not physically. But perhaps he had a better grasp of letting go than I did. Perhaps he had a level of trust I the face of death that meant for him it was the beginning of life.

Weeping and naming; letting go and being sent. 

‘The LORD is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation’.

Where does it come together? Where does it make sense? 


For me returning to the beginning – hearing the words of Palm Sunday ‘blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord’ as we remember the Last Supper; as in the power of the Spirit we encounter Christ in bread and wine. 

There psalmists and saints, with Dan, my dad we tell of God’s marvelous works.  As we hear in psalm 66: ‘make a joyful noise to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise; say to God “how awesome are your deeds!... All the earth worships you’.

On Easter Day, the psalms resound with that vision: ‘Come and see what God has done: he is awesome in his deeds among mortals’. Yes, in psalm 66 this refers to passing through the red sea on dry land.

But now we rejoice in liberation for all people.


We are called and sent to be a people of praise and prayer; to be a people living in reconciling love; to be a people witnessing to that in word and dead; to be a generous pilgrim people.

 
© Julie Gittoes 2016