Saturday 26 March 2016

Love in silence



Words from psalm 31: ‘be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye wastes away from grief; my soul and body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away’.




Do we hear these words differently on Holy Saturday than on Monday evening? 

Then perhaps the words condemning the wicked to go ‘dumbfounded to Sheol’ revealed our human desire for justice or revenge; yet perhaps  there a difference when we hear cries of scorn, horror and brokenness when we know that the one who is our stronghold has broken the stronghold of hell. He has plumbing the depths.

We face the silence of the grave: ‘Into your hand I commit my spirit; for you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God’.


Yet the work of our redeemer is being done: ‘incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily’ says the psalmist.

Continuing: ‘Blessed be the LORD, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me…’ 

The psalm speaks of being alarmed as when a city is besieged. Here, being driven from sight takes us beyond the grave; such is the depth of the love of God in Christ Jesus.


 

As Paul writes: ‘For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.’


He is indeed our refuge. The words of psalm 142 heard on this holy, silent day of grief: ‘you are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living’. 

In death there is hope. This is more than the psalmist could have imagined. Companionship not just in loneliness or when our spirit faints; but God bringing light into the very depths of darkness, where there is not breath.

 

© Julie Gittoes 2016